0 The information on this page is designed to assist with student research projects and in identifying helpful resources. Maag Library provides access to Biology books, journals and data through print and online resources. The specific resources listed below are a portion of what is available through the library. For individualized assistance, contact the Science and Engineering Librarian; for general assistance, Ask a Librarian!
- MaagNet (Maag Library’s Online Catalog)
- Look here for books, government documents, e-books (electronic books) and other materials owned by Maag Library. Search by subject, keyword, author, or title. To locate appropriate subject headings, consult the Library of Congress Subject Headings, a multi-volume set of large red books shelved behind the Reference Desk in the Reference Room.
- Once an item has been selected, copy or print the publication information (author, title, publisher, date) found on the title page of the book or from the catalog record so the item can be properly cited later. For assistance in creating Works Cited or Bibliographic References pages see Citing Resources.
- Finally, note the item’s Call Number and Location, then check the Building Guide to find the exact location.
- OhioLINK Central Catalog (combined catalog of OhioLINK member libraries)
- Look here for books not available at Maag Library but owned by other Ohio colleges and universities. Some OhioLINK libraries may use Medical Subject Headings (MESH) in addition to or instead of Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH).
- An item may be requested from other OhioLINK institutions if its status indicates it is Available. Typically books requested through the OhioLink Central Catalog take 3-5 business days (Monday through Friday) to arrive. To see the status of a request, check your circulation record. Once an item’s status shows as OhioLINK Rec’d, the item has arrived at Maag Library and is available at the Circulation Desk. See OhioLINK Borrowing Services for more information.
- For search help see About the OhioLINK Central Catalog
Articles in Print
- American Zoologist (1988 to 2001)
- Annual Review of Genetics (1970 to present)
- Biological Reviews (2000-2006)
- BioScience (2000 to present)
- Integrative and Comparative Biology (2002 to present)
- Quarterly Review of Biology (1945 to present)
- Scientific American (1985 to present)
- BIOSIS Previews
Abstracts and bibliographic references from approximately 5,500 international biological and medical journals area covered as well as international meetings, review articles, books, and monographs.
- Electronic Journal Center (EJC)
Full-text journals from OhioLINK electronic journal subscriptions. Currently includes over 6000 scholarly journals in a variety of disciplines. To best benefit from this database, choose the Life Sciences category then select either the General Biology or Cytology sub-categories.
Supplies full text articles from the very first volume to the last 3-5 years for approximately 240 titles in arts and sciences. Use the Advanced Search to select either “Developmental & Cell Biology” or “Biological Sciences” sub-categories.
International interdisciplinary science literature
- Oxford Reference, Biological Sciences
Electronic reference books in biology
- Oxford Reference, Medicine
Electronic reference books in medicine
- Oxford Reference, Science
Electronic reference books on physical and life sciences
- ProQuest — Nursing and Allied Health
Full text presentation of leading nursing and related publications
This database from the National Library of Medicine provides an index and abstracts of health science journal articles from 1950 to current issues.
Journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Science Citation Index Expanded or ISI Web of Science
Current information as well as backfiles to 1900 are found in full text on the Web of Science. With this database the researcher can look for specific articles by subject, author, journal, and/or author address. Additionally, it is possible to search the databases for articles that cite a known author or work.
- Science Online
A Facts on File encyclopedia of science disciplines
SciVerse Scopus contains comprehensive indexing for the scientific, technical, and medical sciences.
0 These databases provide a starting point for research; for other databases, visit the Research Databases page.
0 For additional assistance in finding journals available through Maag Library, use the Maag Journal Finder. Search for a specific journal by title or ISSN. Also browse the Biology and Microbiology sub-categories under the Science category or search within the Medicine category.
- American Institute of Biological Sciences (AIBS)
- Centre for BioScience ImageBank
- Marine Biological Laboratory (MBL), Wood’s Hole, Massachusetts
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- PubMed Central
Open-access to journal articles indexed by the National Library of Medicine (NLM) are avaiable here. No log-in is required.
This comprehensive scientific research indexes not only journal content but also scientists’ ancillary scientific information.
- SpringerLink ON CAMPUS ACCESS ONLY
Select the Biomedical and Life Sciences Collection and choose from various sub-categories in Biomedicine or Life Sciences to search for journal articles within specialized fields. Or, click BROWSE on the navigation bar to search among other resources.
- Tree of Life Web Project