The Chancellor just distributed this announcement:
To: OhioLink Stakeholders
From: Chancellor Eric Fingerhut
Re: Appointment of Interim Director
Date: March 31, 2010
OhioLink Executive Director Tom Sanville has informed me that today will be his last day in that position. I would like to once again thank Tom for his many years of service to OhioLINK and higher education in Ohio, and wish him well in his future endeavors.
As most of you know, I have appointed a search committee to identify Tom’s permanent successor. That committee, co-chaired by Lev Gonick of Case Western Reserve University and Dr. Victoria Montavan of the University of Cincinnati, has already had its first meeting. I am grateful for their work as well.
I am pleased to announce that I am appointing John Magill, Chief Strategic Officer in the office of Policy Research and Strategic Planning for the Ohio Department of Development, as Interim Director of OhioLINK. John will assume his duties on April 1, 2010, and continue until the permanent director takes office. I have had the opportunity to work with John on many matters through the close cooperation between the Ohio Board of Regents and the Department of Development, and have found John to be a thoughtful, passionate, creative public servant. John serves on the board of OARNet, is an OhioLINK user, a passionate library advocate, and is very knowledgeable about the role of technology in helping spread the availability of knowledge to all of our citizens. John is well respected by the Governor, the Governor’s cabinet, and legislative leaders, and by the leaders of the other educational technology agencies in state government with which OhioLINK partners. I am confident that he will be able to use these relationships and knowledge to aggressively advance the interests and needs of OhioLINK during this interim period.
I have charged John with the following goals for his tenure as Interim Director:
1. Work closely with the OhioLINK staff, maintain current operations and address issues that arise in the normal course of business;
2. Work with OARnet staff to continue the implementation of the shared infrastructure;
3. Work with OhioLINK stakeholders and the Chancellor to finalize the parameters of the new OhioLINK oversight board;
4. Participate in the Chancellor’s Educational Technology Council meetings representing OhioLINK; and
5. In consultation with OhioLINK staff, stakeholders, external experts and interested parties, develop an indeterminate number of “white papers” identifying potential future strategic options for OhioLINK to be available to the permanent executive director, the newly appointed oversight board, and the Chancellor for their consideration.
I know John will be reaching out to all of you as OhioLINK’s stakeholders for your input. In the spirit of our conversations these last few weeks, however, I wanted to make available an opportunity to share with John and me any thoughts you may have as John assumes his duties. To that end, I have scheduled a conference call for this afternoon at 4:30 p.m. on which both John and I will participate.
Thank you for all of your support of OhioLINK and for your continued partnership as we move forward.